a photo showing how in a conversation when we hear and express language, information is passed through several areas of the brain as we hear individual words, interpret them, store information as memories and finally form our replies.
https://vocalsaints.co.nz/symptoms-of-language-processing-disorder/

As someone with a language processing disorder, I often notice that consistent and straightforward navigation and layout are digital accessibility practices that are frequently overlooked. I find it easier to understand websites and content that use simple, clear language. When there’s too much jargon or overly long sentences, I feel overwhelmed and struggle to comprehend the information. It would be helpful if I had a tool that allows me to highlight a sentence and receive a text bubble explaining it in simpler terms. I wonder if AI is advanced enough to support this feature. Additionally, another useful option would be the ability to highlight a large paragraph and have it broken into smaller sections with bullet points or clear headings on a separate page.

I believe one reason digital accessibility practices aren’t more widely known or commonly used is that individuals with high-functioning disabilities are often overlooked. Many of them have to self-advocate to access the support they need, which can be a significant challenge in itself. As a result, when people with high-functioning disabilities are not recognized or assisted, they may remain unaware of the resources and tools available to help make their digital experiences more accessible.

Example of an accessible video: