Weekly Reflection #4

Describe possible cross-curricular active learning opportunities for 3D Design & 3D Printing.

3D Designs and printing is a great way to offer hands on projects in multiple different subjects. For example, in Math students could print models of geometric shapes, and use those models to learn about symmetry and meaturement. In sciences students could create 3D models of animals, ecosystems or possibly create life size parts of the human body. students could also 3D design sculptures in for Art and bring them to life with a 3D printer.These opportunities allow students to apply their knowledge in meaningful ways, making learning interactive and engaging across multiple subjects.

What are the potential pros and cons of using 3D Design and print at the school and grade levels you hope to teach at?

I would like to teach in a kindergarten classroom so, a major con is that the software is way too advanced for young children to navigate independently. However, pro of 3D technology such as a 3D printer can still be a valuable teaching tool. As a teacher, I could use it to create engaging learning materials, like 3D models of shapes, animals, or letters, to support hands-on learning. Additionally, I could take students’ drawings and turn them into 3D-printed objects, bringing their creative ideas to life and making the learning process more exciting and meaningful for them.

1. Taylor

This is a great reflection Erin! I really liked your idea about creating life size parts of the human body – I will definitely be using that in my classroom. I agree with the idea that this software is too advanced for kindergarten. I think you have come up with a great alternative to incorporating the technology into your classroom by creating hands on activities. I wonder if for future blog posts you could include a background colour behind your text that is higher contrast? This would make it more accessible to those who have vision troubles and is also visually appealing 🙂